Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Missionary Dog Tags


My awesome nephew, Jaron, is currently serving an LDS mission in Angola!  He wrote home recently asking if Aunt Chan would make him dog tags to represent his mission.  I drew it all out to make sure everything would fit and nearly had to close my eyes while I stamped - just in case I messed it up (silver is so expensive these days).  The first tag has his name, the dates of his service, and the two missions he has served in (originally called to Mozambique, but serving in Angola which was recently made into its own official mission).  The second tag has a scripture that is encouraging and has special meaning to him:  "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes"  (Doctrine & Covenants 121:7-8).  I am so impressed with these courageous young men who give up 2 very critical years of their lives to serve the Lord, Jesus Christ, and people all over the world.  My nephew spends his time teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ and helping in a local orphanage.  His older brother, Tyler, is also serving a mission in Peru.  They are being transformed into amazing young men and I really respect their willingness to give and serve.  Way to go, Jaron and Tyler!  You are such good examples to me!

No comments: